Traditional colleges and universities are facing many challenges like higher tuition fees, budget cuts, and course shortages. This has led many students to search for alternatives. With about three million students enrolled in online degree programs and six million taking at least one online course, online education has become one of the most popular alternatives for higher education.
As such, students, from working professionals to high school graduates are finding enough reasons to take all or some of their courses online. So, here we are, providing you with the 10 advantages to pursue online learning.
1. Variety of programs and courses: It doesn’t really matter what type of course students want to study. They can find anything from nursing to neuroscience in their online degree program. Also, they can earn any academic degree from a career certificate to doctorate online.
2. Lower cost of study: Online programs are more affordable than traditional college education. Though not all the online degrees are less expensive, the associated costs are almost always very nominal. For instance, there will be no commuting costs, and sometimes the students don’t even have to spend on the textbooks as they are often available for free online.
3. Comfortable learning: As there are no physical class sessions and lectures or other materials are electronically sent to the students, they can study comfortably sitting at home. They don’t need to fight traffic, search for parking spaces, or leave work early to go to the class.
4. Convenience and flexibility: Online courses impart students an opportunity to plan their study time as per their convenience. They can study and work when they are at their peak energy level. Course material is always accessible and so they don’t need to schedule any special trips to library.
5. Opportunity to interact more: Online courses offer introvert students an opportunity to participate in class discussions or online chats with more ease than face-to-face class sessions.
6. Career advancement: The best thing about taking online courses is that students can take them up and even complete entire degrees while in-between jobs, or taking time to raise a family. This academic work can explain any discontinuity or work gaps in a resume as well. It can also explain your prospective employers that you are truly ambitious for your career and want to remain informed and prepared of new challenges.
7. Continue in your profession: Online course doesn’t demand you to leave your job for study. The students can take them up and earn a degree while currently employed.
8. Avoid commuting: It so happens that during snowstorms or thunderstorms, colleges cancel their classes. Students in online courses can always continue their studies by participating in discussion boards or chat sessions. They can even watch lectures online or read materials. Also, students can save on their fuel costs while avoiding commutation.
9. Improve your technical skills: Even the most of the basic online courses requires development of new computer skills. As students learn to use different learning management systems (LMS) and programs, they develop skills. These skills can be used anywhere in your profession including creating and sharing documents, incorporating multimedia materials in your assignments, etc.
10. Transfer credits:College students who want to attend their summer classes, but live far away from their colleges or are working on summer jobs, can take up online classes from an accredited college and transfer their credits to their primary college.